Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:23:42 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Solenoid-operated manual shifter?

I was wondering what the best way to set-up my 84 Caravelle's shifter when installing the Porsche G50 trans.

The trans has an inline axial shifter rod, just like older VWs.

The usual way is to fit the entire Porsche shifter tower into the cockpit floor to replace the VW one.

It occurred to me that I could use a Toyota floorshift and mount it on a modified console to place it where it would be in Hiace, thereby alleviating chopping the Porsche lever and ending up with a long throw and long flexy imprecise shifter. The Toyota uses cables, I think (must look at my Hiace!) and would be relatively easy to adapt. If it's NOT cable-operated, a Corolla/Corona cable unit would do, so long as the 2 forward-running cables can be curved around toward the back without impinging on the radiator or bending too tightly..

Then I started to wonder about electric shifters. I guess this would necessitate using linear motors (solenoids). As there are 3 positions of the trans shifter rod in each direction, this would necessitate 2 solenoids for each, or a pair of 3-position solenoids (and I don't know whether such solenoids are made).

Transverse solenoid(s) to rotate the shaft to change lateral planes ie among the 1-2, 3-4, 5-R planes. Longitudinal (axial) solenoid(s) to move the rod fore-aft to select the 1-3-5, N and 2-4-R planes. This could be in addition to the manual shifter, and be operated via porsche Tiptronic levers on the steering column.

I guess this would need some simple electronics to coordinate the solenoids, as some shifts would need one solenoid to move, others would need both solenoids.

Thoughts, anyone? ... other than "why bother..." -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand 64 (3) 473-8863 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut