Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:08:22 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Passenger van to westy pop top conversion?
Comments: To: Vanagon Man <vgonman@MSN.COM>

Some people like to camp. Vanagons are great for camping, even ones with only a weekender bed in the back. Adding a poptop allows you to stand up while camping and this is useful for dressing, etc. The added ventilation is a big plus too. After you pop the top you can move most of your gear into it and out of your way. People with small children can let the kids sleep up there, even without the full bed. There is more than enough rooftop for a couple kids to lay down. It is a lot easier to deal with getting the kids up there and comfortable when you don't have that big folding bed blocking most of the opening. I have a piece of carpet that is sized to cover the roof so people and stuff don't have to touch the bare metal of the roof. I carry rollup exercise pads for little ones to sleep on up there.

My wife and I have camped hundreds of nights in our 87 Syncro since I put the poptop on 10 years ago. We also have a full Westy that we sometimes travel in. For traveling the upper bed can be handy since you can pull over and sleep without having to rearrange everything downstairs. Many of the people I've met who travel in Westys agree that the upper bed is most often used as a place to put stuff when camped. When you do want it for the full sized bed it is great to have it but that is not how it gets used most of the time.

Mark

Vanagon Man wrote: > > I am confused. > > Why have a pop top if not the bed with it? > > Adam P > Charleston,SC Coburn, WV > 81 Westy "The Brick " > 70 Single Cab "Whitey" > 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" > 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) > 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg > 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) > 1974 412 "Goldmember" > Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled)