Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:28:43 -0500
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      roof sections

ok I'll chimein here w/my $.02

the first article here was adding a pop-top to a SYNCRO passanger van to accomplish as true a SYNCRO WESTY as the listee could.. given the price differnaces I am suprised more are not attempting this method. syncro westies are typically $10,000-$20,000 us-dollars and a good bodied syncro passenger van $2500-5000. for the bulk of us is cost effective

then you have to figure in ABILITY and individual wealth or income after all that are weighed out comes the worth to the individual

now for me it is because I have an 81 DIESEL passanger van and would like standing room while camping.. but i am looking to add in and modify an older smaller midship poptop section that pops straight up.. as in the pre 67westies and ASI's .. I do have some images captured from the internet w/vanagons (mostly european) with a similiar central pop top section..

there was the fellow in Montreal that put a BAY adventurewagen high roof on his SYNCRO

anything is possible and it is truely a shame when an individual has more good intended ambition then ability and financial or time means.

I too have 'rescued' or 'inherited' vans to bring back to life.. as well as a few that made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the small fleet that is growing around me (my 2-- 1 1980 ASI camper and 1 81 diesel to be TD w/camper conversion, my brothers 82 diesel sunroof to be a 1.8T conversion, and now my father is trying to talk me out of my 82 parts diesel)

in my past I tackled a roof section on my baja from a regular roof to a crank back solid sunroof. and it has some waves, I know they're there and I NEVER intend to sell it (or any of my VWs) so that resale value isn't a problem. that was 10 years ago and now I have far better ability in custom body work and have been considering making a stretch ( too many people shorten buses)

I thank the first website for the VERY informative and helpful insight into the task of semi-proper roof grafting for his efforts and for his accomplishments..

Dan from Syracuse

Ohh and BTW do a search in www.CAR-PART.com for roof sections or roof and there are a few offered.. I may want to graft a sunroof section onto my fathers van in the future.