Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:14:51 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: easy..   Re: Passenger van to westy pop top conversion?
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

In a message dated 12/10/03 7:36:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, BenTbtstr8 writes:

> Chris, > > Even with a half inch thick plywood, it will be hitting up against the > curved fiberglass roof. At least that was my experience. The 2 X4 caused clearance > problems caused problems at the lower sides. Cutting them to fit caused > problems with the plywood being too high in the middle. > >

Ben, it just so happens i have a hardtop van here with a busted poptop rear section sitting on it, sans canvas. . got up on the roof, and even with my weight up there squishing the fiberglass down, there was 1.25 " of open space between the higest point of the hardtop roof ribs, and the lowest point of the fiberglass poptop roof ribs. maybe even one and a half inches if i wasnt standing up there. plenty of room for a piece of plywood to stay up there all the time, and even a foam pad seeing as how foam will compress when the top is closed.. i see your point about the poptop having a slight convex in it, but if spacer 2x whatever thickness wood strips are laid down each side, screwed to the roof, and a 1/2" piece of plywood up there as a sleeping platform (plywood will flex..) may be a slight longitudinal surve to it, but not as drastic and uncomfortable as the curveature of the metal ribbed hardtop roof.

the hole cut in your hardtop roof would be between the B and C roof reinforcements - about the size of a vanagon sunroof hole more or less, leaving the roof reinforcements there so no structural intregrity is lost..

the only thing not gained by doing it the easy way is the facory bed..you have a custom bed instead..still able to sleep 2 people. no structural integrity is lost as you dont cut any reinforcement rails. i dont really see why people do it the hard way.. but to each his own.. anyway i think youre making it look alot harder of a job than it really is.

chris