Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:26:21 -0500
From:         David and Shirin <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Power of a 2.0L Air cooled vs 2.1L

----- Original Message ----- From: David and Shirin To: David and Shirin Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 8:20 PM Subject: Re: Power of a 2.0L Air cooled vs 2.1L

Hmm here I am replying to my own message, Just came across a site that might interest those trying to build a big Hot engine, how does 2.6 liter's 9.1 to 1 compression ratio and over 200 HP with the stock pancake cooling system, running at below stock temps reliably. The trick seems to be to get rid of the cast iron cylinders and replace them with aluminum ones coated with Nikasil. http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/thoughts/cylinders-selecting.html ----- Original Message ----- From: David and Shirin To: vanagon list Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 8:14 PM Subject: Power of a 2.0L Air cooled vs 2.1L

The power of the Vanagon engine is not the same as the 79 bus, the vanagon had smaller exhaust valves (33mm) to keep emissions clean. This boosts exhaust gas temps and is part of the problem with the vanagon engines running high cylinder head temps. The Porsche 914 engines had 36mm exhaust valves among other things. So bigger exhaust valves would be a good upgrade for the Vanagon 2.0 engine. This is a good site about type IV engines, http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/heads.htm#stock

David

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:01:27 -0500 From: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> Subject: Re: Power of a 2.0L Air cooled vs 2.1L???

>>>Did I miss something, or do I have the only 2.0l FI 81 air cooled factory rated in the high 60's HP??<<<<<

I can bring a Honda civic from 106hp to 140, just by playing with the head section (polish, porting, shimming), i have been doing that with a very good friend of mine since i was 20 years old, lets say that i have very knowledgeable and well equiped friends. We work on very complicated heads, like 5 valves Yamaha cylinders head. Like i said on above post, my 1.75L (5 for oversize) is pushing a lot, i did do some polishing on those. Sometime, a very small modification will make a big difference.

I wanna keep reliability, so i won't push the first one (engine). Am also looking for oversize pistons and barrels (no luck for now on type2 engine). My goal is to bring the displacement to 2.2 or 2.3, am not there yet.

The case, crank, rods, and new cam are at the shop as we speak...

I am not being a wise guy neither. And don't worry, i will share... like i always did.

This thread was about 2.0L-AC in a Vanagon, it as been answered. Power is the same as a 79 Bus, Vanagon is more heavy... Some don't like the Bus/Bay road handling, i don't care much about that. But, if you ask me which one look better..... :-)))))))

I have a "dream" westy in my head, i am going to build this one, very soon. And it will be reliable and powerful, you will know about it.

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/