Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:52:07 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Cylinder Types

I just visited the Raby Aircooled web site. Raised some questions in my mind. Curious about what cylinder types are available for the WBX engines. Cylinder material, matching piston materials, ring materials. Back in my aviation days I remember aircraft cylinder barrels being steel(or maybe cast iron - machined, but don't think so) with steel fins.

Aircraft engines short blocks were much like that of the WBX and the VW Aircooleds. Split case, crank, cam, rods and pistons. There the resemblance stopped. Aircraft cylinders were - operationally speaking - one piece including the cylinder head. The head was an assembly made up of a machined aluminum casting, with valve seats, valves guides, etc. pressed in. The head was threaded to accept a threaded steel cylinder barrel. The dissimilar metals were dissimilarly heated, then threaded together. Once cooled to the same temperature they would not separate. A crack might occur at the thread line - that I have seen - but basically the two components would never separate. Each cylinder was then attached to the case by short studs that suck out from the surface of the case. This cylkinder barrel assembly was a complete unit. No heads to mess with, no head gasket leaks, etc, etc, etc. The steel cylinder barrels interior surface was "Nitride" treated for hardness, or alternately, chrome plated and then machined again. The chrome would have tiny little crevices thoughout the surface that trapped oil and provided for lubrication. Because the chrome was so hard, gray iron rigns were used in the chrome barrels to allow the rings to wear in to the cylinders rather than the other way around. Sad the day when someone put in rings other than the gray iron into a chrome cylinder.

Anyway, I have wondered why no one ever came out with a combination head/cylinder barrel for the VW. Would have eliminated a ot of headaches. What type barrels are available out there today????

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver