Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:52:48 -0800
From:         pedro dos santos <pedrokrusher@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Pedro's pop top conversion

mark drillock wrote:

Pedro, your friend did a lot of work for not so much money. Looks very good. I wonder if he would like to do more at the same price?

Did you remove the A/C as part of the top installation?

It looks like a new front headliner was installed too, right?

Thanks for sharing the detailed photos. -------------------------------------------------- Hi Mark

By the amount of personnal e-mails I get for this project, i think it is valuable information for a lot of listees. I am sorry for the others that don't like it. So I guess just use the delete key for now. Someday i will put up a website with all my projects on it and save a lot of grief to some of you. If anybody has ANY question, just p-mail me.

Yes my friend wanted to use my van as an experiment to see how much work this transplant would take. He did take a lot more time than expected because he did mesure a lot and did not want to cut too much the roof all at once. He also took out all the glass, except for the windhield and doors, and took out all the headliner, and reinstalled it back. He won't do that again. So the 2000$Can was a bargain for me. He had told me that he could do that job again no problem, specially that now he knows what to do and what not to do. Now the 2000$Can should be just right, he said.

The headliner is the original passenger van headliner. A westy ceiling is totally different because they use those laminated wood with beige rubber trim on the edges. I used those rubber trims to hold the headliner to the opening edges. In one of the pictures you probably noticed he used the black rubber trim from the opening of the slider door by mistake. That is not there anymore and back to its original place. The ceiling is the only difference between my van and a westy van. Only the knowledgeable people would notice that. All the metal roof is totally like a westy.

My vanagon GL has all the options except for the AC and the cruise control, it even has the rare driver's heated seat! I bought the carat interior AND all the AC stuff from Chris Turner a couple years back. Only installed the interior, and totally love it!

The AC project might have to wait, depending if i buy a house next year...

Pedro dos Santos 91 vanagon GL + carat int + pop-top transplant 85 ddcab project Montreal, Quebec, Canada