Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:17:55 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: What will you all be driving 15 years from now

>andrew what do you mean? Mercedes owns chrysler, and freightliner. >the Sprinters are not sold here in the US under the Mercedes marque, >they are sold as freightliners or Dodges. still the same mercedes >tho.. > >dont know where you think the VW LT series comes into this.. the >LT's are VW, the Sprinters are Mercedes..

Chris, it's called badge-engineering. Your Lexus LS400 is in fact a Toyota Celsior (and that's within the company): likewise your "Acura" Legend is a Honda Legend. The badges are changed for the US (or whatever) market.

Other examples: Opel senator: Cadillac Cimmaron (spelling?) Chevrolet Camaro: Pontiac Firebird Suzuki Cultus (Swift) (late 80s): Pontiac Firefly, Chev something, Holden Barina Mazda Familia: Mazda 323, Mazda GLC, Ford Laser, Mercury something in USA Opel Kadett (late 70s): Isuzu Gemini, Holden Gemini, Buick Opel Ford Sierra: Mercury Merkur Mitsubishi Delica van: Hyundai H100 Holden Monaro: Pontiac GTO Nissan Infiniti: Infinity Q45 Toyota Altezza: Lexus IS200/300

It's rife! The same car may be sold at the same time in the same market under 3 different names, sometimes with minor or major cosmetic differences, at times with zero difference apart from the badges.

The Sprinter and LT are the same vehicle; they are probably made on the same assembly line in the same factory. They get different cosmetic nosejobs and dashboards. nd of course badges. This has come up on the list before.

The other European vans are different, though sometimes similar, designs. Though I have suspicions that the larger Mercedes campers here are Ford Transits... I have yet, however, to see examples parked side-by-side so that I can compare them. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand 64 (3) 473-8863 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut