Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 06:01:46 -0600
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy - headers or stock exhaust?
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Richard said: The question is, which system should I put on....the plain stock exhaust or the S&S headers?

I've done both on different vans that I have. The S&S muffler is too loud for most of us, I would say. The fit was OK. If you buy it without having it coated, the rate at which it rusts is probably the fastest thing about it. I would recommend buying the stock system as a package from one of our on-line vendors. Bus depot can supply most of the system in stainless steel, which in the long run is the most economical. I suppose the others can too. Ken Wilfey's service and order time is hard to beat.

Do yourself and your installer a favor, and soak up the bolts and studs that fasten the system to the heads and engine block really well for a couple of weeks before they work on it. The most difficult part of the whole job is dealing with studs or bolts which twist off because of the rust that is always there. If that happens, you have a whole new level of problems to fix and pay for.

Chuck Hill