Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:31:35 -0000
From:         Tony Polson <tp@WHSMITHNET.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: 5 SPEED TRANS'

Ben wrote: > >Listers, >Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with the >"094" transmission currently advertized by Vanamania? >These are supposedly shipped over from Europe and will >readily fit into any vanagon giving a more "usable range >of power"????????????

Hi Ben,

Speaking as someone from Europe where the 094 is in plentiful supply, I can tell you that opinions on the five speed 'box are divided.

The fifth speed is not much higher ratio than the fourth speed in a four speed 'box. It will not decrease your "freeway revs" by any significant degree.

The first speed is slightly lower ratio than that in the four speed 'box.

In terms of reliability, the five speed 'box is known to wear out its selector forks faster than the four speed 'box.

The "gate" is unusual with first gear to the left and back, and 2,3,4 and 5 in the 'H' pattern, just like in the Syncro. This takes some getting used to, but the first gear is so low as to be almost unusable except on steep hills, so you will tend to use 2,3,4 and 5 as you would 1,2,3 and 4 in a "normal" 4-speed gearbox.

I have been offered several of these 5-speed 'boxes for very little money and see no reason whatsoever why I should change from my 4-speed. However, if my 4-speed breaks I would be happy to replace it with a 5-speed, as long as the 5-speed has had new selector forks installed.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Best regards,

Tony Polson '85 VW Transporter