Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 06:30:33 +0000
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5 SPEED TRANS'

Ben wrote:

>Listers, >Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with the "094" transmission currently advertized by Vanamania? These are supposedly shipped over from Europe and will readily fit into any vanagon giving a more "usable range of power"???????????? >Ben >'87 GL >'89 Vanagon Westf > >

The 094 5 speed is fantastic in the diesel vans, lowering the cruising RPM and closing the distance between the gears. It greatly imporoved the driveability of my '82 diesel Westy. For the gas vans, especially the 2.1, it doesn't seem worth the expense to me. The overall gearing in the highest gear is virtually identical. However, a friend of mine just brought his '84 Westy to Italy for three years. The original tranny was suffering 3-4 slider failure as he left. He had a 5 speed installed in Italy and considers it to be an improvement with his 1.9 and fully loaded camper.

FWIW, I've seen the transmissions in Vic's (Vanmania) shop. Most of them look like they could be rebuildable cores at best. With that in mind, you could rebuild one with a higher ring/pinion ratio and drop your cruise RPMs. It still sounds like too much money to me for very little meaningful gain.

Mike Snow 1982 Westfalia diesel 1986 GL 1987 Syncro GL