Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:02:10 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Genuine VW Sound Deadening Mats - Now $199

Sorry for the price fluxation ... I had originally predicted these to be under $200, then upped it to $260 because it looked like shipping was going to cost me more than I thought and I was fearful of the exchange rate....

Now they've arrived, and the good news is that freight cost was nowhere near as bad as I'd feared, so this offset the dollar devaluation. The result is that I'll be able to stick to my original estimate. The price is $199 after all.

To recap, this is a pretty unusual accessory, so rare that I have never seen one before. It's a genuine VW sound-deadening mat, originally offered as a $500 dealer option, which sits on your rear deck to reduce interior engine noise while you're driving (particularly beneficial to rear passengers). The mat is thin enough that if you have a rear mattress you can put it between the deck and the mattress. But it has a carpeted finish on the surface side in case you want to use it without a mattress. (The finish is blue, and would look okay with a blue or gray interior, but perhaps not as good with a brown interior; only an issue if you won't be covering it with a mattress of course.) It has snaps to hold it in place. While your van will not have the snap recepticles on its rear deck, they happen to be the same ones that Wal-Mart sells for about $4 a set in their camping section (and the same ones used for VW rear hatch and side door mosquito screens). Or you can just lay it there and not snap it in, which is probably just as good. It is full-width, so it's not designed for a Westy that has a cabinet on the rear deck. The few I received from Germany are all I will ever have, so it's a one-shot deal. Maybe not a "must have" accessory, but certainly a pretty cool (and ultra-rare) add-on for the Vanagon owner who has everything. :-)

Link:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255863405P1UT

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT