Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:10:36 -0500
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      RoadHaus - Baja Trip Report
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, vwcc@yahoogroups.com,
          "Vw-Camping@Yahoogroups. Com" <vw-camping@yahoogroups.com>,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

I had the immense good fortune to be able to spend Thanksgiving week in Baja, Mexico with some great new friends.

Here's the Photo Gallery Link:

http://tinyurl.com/yezv

4 VW Campers met at a Sea of Cortez beach camp.

Mark and Anne Drillock, 87 Syncro Camper ... the Camp Out Hosts Bobbie and Cindy Behrens, 78 Westy Leon Korkwood , 84 Westy Subagon John, Maria, Gerry, friends of Mark and Anne and hosts for Thanksgiving dinner at their neighboring camp.

The wind was a bother at times but we dealt with it and had a ball.

Mark and Bobbie left San Diego together on Sun AM and the plan was to meet up with me near the border at Mexicali.

But alas .... plans don't always work out.

Foolishly I made a last minute dash to the grocery store and missed the connection.

Coming out of the store I was greeted by a cell phone message from mark "we looked for you, couldn't find you, so assume you went on ahead of us. See you at camp"

Since I didn't know the exact final destination .... this poised an interesting challenge.

And to make matters more intriguing .... it was rapidly getting dark .... very, very dark.

Using my highly trained analytical skills .... I quickly concluded that since Mark was towing a Hobie Cat .... he couldn't possibly be traveling very fast.

Later I learned what a dumb assumption that was.

So heading into the depths of Baja .... I raced to overtake the two van convoy.

As I "carziliy" (new word) sped thru the winding avenues of Mexicali and barreled down Mexico's Highway 5 ..... the thought occurred to me "If you don't catch them" Plan B would be exactly what?".

Once again turning to my "analytical skills" I quickly drafted said "Plan B".

Plan B >> Make it to San Felipe ...... find a fish taco stand and camp there till the beer and fish taco monies runs out.

A win / win plan if I ever had one.

Fortunately or unfortunately ... I did overtake the Drillock convoy ..... a bit North of San Felipe.

Although if you ask Mark where I met up with them, he will say "a bit south of Mexicali".

I think the only reason I caught them was that Mark stopped to adjust the Hobie Cat Tie downs.

BTW ..... ask Mark about the "best way to flip a HOBIE CAT will flying down the freeway.

From there we traveled together through San Felipe...stopping for much coveted Fish Tacos, and on to south of Puertocitos, to the beach camp at Bahia Christina, nearly 200 miles south of the border.

Two days later Leon arrived with Ann & Gerry but since the wind was blowing pretty good day, he left the next day. I think I heard him say something about heading into the interior to find the "Lost City of Gold"

Or was that a Corona induced dream I had that night!

Thanksgiving Day John & Maria had us all over to their camp and along with Mark, Anne and Gerry cooked a Thanksgiving Feast fit for the most intrepid VW Van traveler.

Once again ... John, Maria, Anne, Mark and Gerry ... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Saturday is was time to depart the bliss of Baja and head North.

Mark, Anne and Gerry headed home to San Diego, Bobbie and Cindy to Baja and me to Tom Forhan's "Ninth Annual Holiday Fest" in Washington, DC.

Another great adventure and new friends that I hope to run into somewhere down "The Road" in the near future.

Guys ... remember ... "Busses by the Bridge" in AZ on Jan 16th-18th.

all roads lead to new friends,

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: <http://www.roadhaus.com/> www.RoadHaus.com Cell: 480 620 8966 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Washington, DC