Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:20:27 -0500
From:         Tracey Estevez <boatshop@INTERCOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Beach camping in South Florida?

*snip* Several years ago, I did a bit of this type of activity in South Florida, and I discovered that, if the Police find you the will hassle you. Seems that Florida is loaded with RV parks that make no $$$ from anyone camping near / on beaches. If you plan to do this, stealth is the by-word. Chuck /*snip*

I agree with the advice from Chuck. I camped in my Westy in KW last year for New Years and found it very frustrating being awakened 3 times during the night by cops who wanted me to move the van. They tell you to go off island like to Stock Island, but most areas there are really seedy. We ended up boondocking in the Kmart parking lot for 2 days until a space opened up at a nearby campground. If you are desperate and want to stay off the island then drive up US1 and pick any road off to the left or right..we found several nice spots out of the way of people's properties to just park the van and snooze or have lunch. We learned one important thing and that was to make a reservation at a campground if you are going around New Years. They are all full and you will be very lucky to find a spot. Also, most large chain-type campgrounds have restrictions on the types of dogs they allow (we travel with a German Shepherd who is one of the "banned-for-insurance-reasons" breed) We liked Lazy Lakes out on Sugarloaf key. Can't say enough good things about it...a little run-down., but very friendly atmosphere, pet friendly (they have a pet walking path around the pond with pooper-scoopers!) showers,laundry, and store. Also it was cheap...like $35 a night for just water hook up on a gravel spot with a tiki hut picnic table. They have "primitive" spots where you can pay less and just park around the pond for the night and full hook ups as well. Another spot worth mentioning is Bahia Honda State Park. Probably the most beautiful spot in the lower keys, but call ahead for camping info, as I remember there being some tight restrictions there.

Also, be advised that downtown KW on New Years eve might not be considered a family-friendly activity for most. The festivities are centered around the gay bars and communities.

-Tracey E