Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:02:42 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Off Topic, but need advice on a Deawoo
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU>

> I have a friend who has a 2000 Deawoo Lonos with less than > 40,000 on it. Its not under warranty for some reason (I am > still checking on this)

It's not under warranty because General Motors essentially pulled a fast one on Daewoo owners, or so I've read. Korean-based Daewoo Motors had been in financial trouble for quite some time, and GM (who owned a minority share in the company as I recall) decided they could use the company as a supplier of low-end GM cars. However, they weren't interested in using the Daewoo brand name in the U.S., and therefore didn't see any profit motive for supporting existing Daewoo owners. As I recall, some Daewoo owners and dealers claimed that they were led to believe that they could safely buy/sell a Daewoo car because of GM's plans to rescue the company. But when the time came, GM bought all of Daewoo Motors' global assets EXCEPT for Daewoo/America. This left Daewoo/America as an "orphan" - a car brand with no products or factories to their name, basically just an empty shell. Daewoo/America promptly filed bankruptcy and liquidated, since it had nothing to sell, leaving Daewoo owners and dealers holding the bag. At the time, I remember reading complaints by Daewoo dealers in the trade press that GM had completely abandoned them when it came to standing behind the cars that they'd sold (or even still had on their lots). I don't know if any resolution occurred (if it did I never read about it), but your friend may want to contact GM and ask them. Meanwhile, GM is, sure enough, starting to market Daewoo-made cars under other GM brand names - so it would seem they got just what they wanted, the assets without any of the U.S. liabilities.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT