Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:10:08 -0500
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Thank You To Everyone For Your Condolence's : RE: Rockefeller Fire

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for your warm thoughts, your inspiration to keep the VW dream alive, to look on the bright side, to learn from the experience and to be thankful for all things..

Many of you expressed that you new the pain of my loss and for that I am so thankful to know that there are others that know and share that experience with me, I am not alone.

If anything I have realized and learned some things from each of you and your words of advice...

€ Change the fuel lines every couple of years with high pressure and not regular fuel lines. VWNut Hawk <vwnut@hawkcomputing.com>

€ Replace the plastic engine cover with the old style Metal engine cover from an air-cooled vanagon. (Chris ­ aka - JordanVw@AOL.COM)

€ Carry a commercial fire extinguisher under the back seat (A big unit) or place one behind the drivers seat. (Chris ­ aka - JordanVw@AOL.COM)

€ Be sure to have Fire Coverage on your Van. ( I did not, but was meaning to add it, to late.)

€ Check the engine bay and the hoses every couple of months and do complete visual inspection.

€ Focus on the good and not the bad in any situation.

€ Do not dwell on what you could have done, but you can do in the future. (woulda/shoulda/coulda) "J. Harvey" <jtharvey2@hotmail.com>

€ Keep a camera with you, capture every important moment. (having fun in the van, with your friends or family or to capture an event. (like a 10-12 min inferno)

€ If you have the cash, technical expertise and time, consider putting in a aftermarket engine. (Subaru) Steven (Steven Goldstein <lep8ntr@yahoo.com>)

€ This experience will be just a ...²speed-bump in the parking lot of your vanagon life²... Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>

€ ³I learned that I can own and enjoy one of these vans from the fantastic community that is this list.² Without this community I would probably not have purchased my old 89 Carat Van, I might have gone it alone and suffered through the learning curve but instead your collective wisdom has brought much ease the Vanagon experience. Thank you all. ... ³it has taken work to²... Get my van from where it started to the almost perfect point it was at before the accident ...²but it is well worth it for the enjoyment I got out of it².... ³remember the joy your van provided you and not give up on dreams that encounter brutal setbacks like this.² Owen <olists@thebrands.org> ( I added my own stuff in there too)

€ ...²there is no real loss. The memories are what will be with you forever. Life carries on. That van would want you to have one again. And enjoy it. ....these vans are timeless friends and it is up to us to know what they need. There is not one to compare or take the place of these. Machines are replaceable in part or whole. We give them life and soul with our love and use. They serve us as best as we treat them or better. Memories are made by you and the loving company you have. Enjoy the next one and the one after.² Zoltan - zolo <zolo@foxinternet.net>

I would hope that who ever maintains the www.vanagon.com site might want to add some of the key technical items mentioned here.

Once again thank you for all your help over the years, it was truly invaluable. God bless, and happy holidays to everyone. Be safe out there...

Best Regards to all, Robert 89 Toasted Carat ­ Crushed yesterday NYC