Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:55:06 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Fuel hoses-getting the "right stuff"

Fuel is not the only fluid that can cause a fire under the right conditions, but it is extremely volatile, especially when heated. Fuel system failures usually occur at the hoses where they connect, but on the Vanagon, those plastic manifolds near the injectors can be a real problem. The end cap is actually a plug, with o-ring, held in place by that metal crimp. The crimp can rust allowing the plug to fall out. The fuel leaves real fast when this happens. The fuel lines do need to be inspected regularly. When replacing, it is very important to use the correct hoses and clamps. Worm gear clamps should never be used here. The fabric braided hose that is often sold is not suitable for the Vanagon. Actually, it was a poor choice for the early busses and bugs that used it. It does not last. The ends will crack under the clamps and the rubber will breakdown quickly. VW has not used this stuff since ~82. The correct hose for the engine compartment is N-903-397-02. Hoses outside the engine area are N-20-281-1. I use the first hose for all 7mm fuel connections. The protection sleeve # N-18-015-4. The correct clamps will be either smooth inside lined, crimps, or the self adjusting spring clips. I prefer stainless inside lined and make sure the screw is also stainless.

I hope this helps someone. VW stopped using that braided crap for a reason. Don't go back. I have also found most after market "Fuel Injection" hose only last a few years. The dealer stuff will last the 10-15 years the original stuff did if it is taken care of.

Dennis