Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:04:57 -0600
From:         Jeff Engel <rambler64@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Advice on rebuilt engine?
Comments: To: lauterba <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Hi John I am just about to get underway with an engine rebuild in my 1990 Westy. It's a 2.1 that was run with no oil after the seal at the oil cooler gave out. I bought the van from the p.o. with engine problems. Had the crank cut ten thous on the main and rod journals, and the cyl. sleeves ridgid honed and checked for roundness etc.The pistons looked alrightand that was verified by the machine who had measured everything and looked for problems.the only thing that was obviously wrong was a rod bearing had wore out to razor blade thin and damaged that journal on the crankshaft. So here I am with a boxful of parts from Boston Bob (all bearings, rings, connecting rods and pushrods , gaskets etc.)and my Bently manual and the experience of the list and Boston Bobs advice and am going to try to put it all back together in the proper manner.i also do a lot of wrenching for people but primarily brakes,ball joints,tune ups etc. and not a whole lot on VW's.especially internal engine. Anyhow enough rambling and will likely be posting for advice soon . Thanks in advance. Jeff 1990 Westy ----- Original Message ----- From: "lauterba" <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:39 PM Subject: Re: Advice on rebuilt engine?