Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:48:41 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Don't waste your money. Fuel Line's - Filters etc to prevent
              leaks?

Nice advertising Kent & Ron... lol.

I worked countless hours on my webpage to get people to work on their van to PREVENT THAT KIND OF DANGER / PROBLEM. What is the point here? 30$ + a few hours of EASY work.

Eric! is that a FRICKKKING joke or what, is it friday... (oupss, yes it's friday :-)

So lets all be stupid and take the risk of driving a 15-30 years old van with original fuel lines. Maybe we will have the chance to make a nice van fire today.

You know what, your right, VW fuel line and coolant hoses are of very good quality, and IF YOUR LUCKY, they could last for all the van life. So comme on, drive your van like that... like 90% of the population who dosn't care about maintenance & prevention... They drive their old car until it dies, witout a single oil change in years. (o yea, it happen, believe me)

I would like to see you in a 73 Cessna 172 with 30 years old fuel line, what to do if an engine caught fire at 5000 feets. Yea, right, you on the ground, no worry, you can get out easily. You never wonder how those little plane still fly over your head?????? Heavy and rigourous maintenance!!!!

Chris says: >>>>if the timing belt breaks on a interference (16v) engine, your head/valves etc are trashed.<<<<<<

Very good exemple, but still, there is no imediate danger!

Here is a better one if i may.

My oncle told me the other day the following story: Ben, why should i change my tires, they still look new with plenty of thread. BECAUSE THEY ARE 11 YEARS OLD AND HAVE CRACK(SSS) ON THE SIDE-WALL AND CAN EXPLODE AT FREEWAY SPEED, THAT WHY ONCLE... (he is old and drive 2 k a year)

This also aply for motorcycle, many time the front tire will have good thread even after many years, but it as crack on the side everywhere.

I repeat my self for the sake of other who care about security.

The flat4 by design need many flexible Fuel line to get fuel to each cylinder. Pre-80 VW bus's had the same problem! http://home.comcast.net/~patcal096/burnedbus.htm

To answer your question, Maybe late Vanagon are not old enough!!!! people asume that the line are still ok. And maybe they are OK!

And here is what i think, If you own a Vanagon/Bus and you never replaced / double check / or at least know the maintenance history of the fuel line.... DO IT, NOW!!!!!!!!!!! is that clear enough! I didn't know better when i bought my first 87, i traveled 8000 miles with rusted line ready to explode....

Before: http://www.benplace.com/engine/engine_before2.jpg After: http://www.benplace.com/engine/engine_after1.jpg

In other words, VW can be a "time bomb" if not well maintain. Like someone else said, the fuel tank in the front doesn't help much. Big leak from this one would result in a instant fire!<<<<<<<

Sorry men but..... i must be to conscientious.