Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:46:27 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: automatic extiguisher wasRe: Yesterday's Engine Fire in
              Rockefeller Center NYC

>I know there's been discussion before on the list, but what's a ball park >figure of an engine compartment fire extiguisher kit--the type that activates >automatically in the event of a fire? Could add a degree of confidence for >someone who has been through a fire and understandably a bit once >bitten twice shy. >Not to mention could be a life saver.

it's a thought I've had since my Bay days at least. Best would be a combination dry powder/carbon-dioxide; the gas is the best extinguisher, but as it's heavy it tends to sink below the level of the fire... so it would give the initial blow-out, and the powder would give susenance to this. Add a water extinguisher to cool things down... and a remote battery-isolator to kill the fuel flow.

I had a fire in a Fiat 850 Coupe Series 2. I was going up a steep hill, revving it to 8000rpm as usual in 2nd, and it began to cough. When I looked in my mirror, all I could see was dense yellowish smoke.

Pulled over, killed engine & got out, then the starter cable burned through and shorted, the engine started turning over and pumping fuel from the burned-through fuel line... so I ripped the battery terminals off (safe enough, the fuel tank is in back with the engine and the battery is under the front lid). Then a security van pulled up with a big extinguisher and put it out for me. Despite the flames and time involved damage was relatively minor, mainly to the electrics. The steel firewalls stopped it getting through to the cabin, and the filler cap (inside the top of the engine bay!), though partly melted, kept it out of the tank. -- Regards Andrew