Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:08:22 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replaced my steel lid, installed fire extinguishers
Comments: To: jmeeks@GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM

You are right- 8 seconds /one extiguisher is not enough. Two is better-because the hot metal can re-ignite the fuel after the flame is out.

I also know this first hand, driving my 64 bus years ago thru Tacoma. At first I thought it was just the famous aroma of Tacoma- then I saw the flames coming out in my rear view mirror.

Southbound on I-5!! I jumped out and had the fire out in 8 seconds. When the extinguisher was almost out , I stopped-and the fire flared back- I squeezed the trigger again until the extinguisher was empty-and it was out for good- but I sure thought it was going to re-ignite.

This was the second engine fire in my VW experience. So now am always inspecting my lines.

The Vanagon Westfalia I am restoring has a brand new engine-and had a fire. The installer may have forgot to tighten a clamp or reused the old fuel lines. The fire department saved this one and even the engine is good. But I had to replace all the wires, hoses etc.

So I can also chime in like the rest- check those lines and wires. And always have a fully charged fire extinguisher. NEVER test them- the dry chemical powder will prevent the valve from sealing properly and all the propellant will leak out slowly .

Robert

1982 Westfalia

_________________________________________________________________ It’s our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month. Get it now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup