Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:42:40 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Vanagon fire fighting techniques

I thought the wisdom was to go in through the license plate door, so as not to admit all the extra air to the fire, and expose the interior to the fire?

I would also propose using short bursts of the extinguisher to keep as much in reserve as possible. I had a 71 bus catch fire due to fuel line coming off carb. I was driving down a mtn when the engine stalled. I was trying to restart it while coasting, thus pumping more fuel out, when a passing driver alerted us to the fire. 'Course the 71 has the big easy to open door in the back and is sealed to prevent much air from coming in from below. Gave it a quick burst with the extinguisher, sweeping across the engine bay. When the powder and smoke cleared, saw where the fire was burning, gave that a burst, it was out. It flared back up, gave that a squirt. I was then left with a few smouldering wires/tubes which I patted out with a rag. I was using a typical 1A 10BC extinguisher as was widely available in the 80's for $15. It was not empty when it was over. As someone else noted the pressure slowly leaked out over the next weeks. I found that on that extinguisher you could actually unscrew the valve off of it and shake out the rest of the powder on the nearest burning item, if you wanted to.

After we calmed down and fixed the fuel leak, we tried to start it. A quick sputter then no spark. The powder had gotten into the distributor and insulated the points. As it was rated for electrical fires, that was what it was supposed to do. A quick filing/cleaning of the points, and we were on our way. Keep that in mind for your after the fire recovery scenario. I bet that powder would cause havoc if it got in your AFM or ISV!

Edward

At 02:38 AM 12/21/2003, you wrote: >I'm thinking the best drill would be: 1) Grab the extinguisher 2)pull the >rear pad and lid out of there 3) foam the engine down till you can see the >leak 4)concentrate the foam on the hot parts it's dripping on and 5) hope >your extinguisher is big enough to do the job.