Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:38:41 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replaced my steel lid, installed fire extinguishers
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

A caution about the use of the powder type fire extinguishers.

The powder in the extinguishers is a very fine grit. If any of this material gets into the air intake in any way during the extinguishing of an engine fire, or after the fire is out, and you are able to restart the engine, this stuff can cause the engine to seize. Of course there are the air filters there to protect the engine, but that is for normal operating conditions. A fire is not a normal condition.

Just be sure that the airways into the engine are clear of any of the fire retardent before trying to restart.

I once saw a guy seize an aircraft engine using the dry chemical extinguisher on a a fire that started when he started the engine. He had flooded the engine, trying to start it, fuel had run out of the carburetor (on the bottom of the engine on thei airplane) and a backfire set the fuel on fire that was running out. The engine was shut down and the fire easily extinguished. But then he jumped right back in to start the engine and after start up it ran for a few seconds then locked up tight, stopping suddenly. What a mess! Of course the vanagon engines are configured diferently than an aircraft engine, but caution is wise with this powdered stuff.

Also, the powder needs to be flushed away as soon as possible, because it can cause corrosion in electrical connections and other areas if left alone.

I carry two extinguishers - one a halon extinguisher, the other the typical ABC type.

And I changed all fuel related lines aft of the firewall, when my engine was rebuilt. Early in the year of 2004, it will be time to change those fuel lines once again. A little expensive, but nowhere nearly as costly as the loss of the vehicle or the emotional angst brought on by a fire.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver