Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:51:42 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Driving

...In a Deep and Dark December (just back from a Simon & Garfunkle concert, so pardon me while I wax poetic.) The 2nd Winter storm for DC. During the day, the precip changed to rain, but in the late evening hours the roads have begun to freeze. Once again, my Syncro (7 passenger version) is put into use driving in wonderful (sic) winter weather.

Ice is an interesting material. In its solid amorphous version, it forms a smooth, seemingly polished surface. Not inheritantly dangerous (no more than any other polish surface... like, say granite). But because of it's composition, it has surprises hidden away from view. As your tire travels upon the surface, the heat of your tire allows for just a tiny amount of the ice to melt, and that leads to water, and the very dangerous situation of hydroplaning. Supposedly in extremely cold conditions (parts of Alaska, Northern Canada, Siberia, and Antarctica) this melting doesn't happen. I doubt I'll ever be driving in those circumstances.

Freshly fallen snow (this line should go before the first line of this post...) is very easy to drive in. Assuming you have good tread on your tires, and your tires are rated for snow. The danger with snow (usually) is compaction (getting rid of the air spaces in the snow). Compaction has two dangers in it. One, it prevents that dangerous water from draining away. Second compaction can lead to ruts that your tires travel in... in effect steering your car for you. Regardless of where YOU might want to go.

The syncro drivetrain, is nice in weather like this. As your wheels slip (due to hydroplaning on that watery film) power is automatically transfered to the front wheels, which allows you to travel further, in a controlled fashion, rather than, Slip, Sliding, Away (I couldn't let >THAT< opportunity pass me by.)

So I am (not) a Rock, freezing outside, as my Syncro was able to gracefully put me Homeward Bound, in time to compose this missive.

In truth, I should have been sitting in a (Metro) railway station, waiting for a one way destination, but I'd rather be a swan, that's here and gone.

I think I'm getting carried away, but the creative inspiration insisted on liberation. Happy holidays, and safe traveling everyone.