Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:11:18 -0700
From:         Klun John <jklun@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      (NVC) But my comments on the concept Microbus...

It is UGLY! I wouldn't be caught dead driving or owning one. VW has always been known for its styling expertise as evidenced by the Rabbit to Golf transition, the 1984 -198X Jetta evolution (I own an '86 with 400,000+ miles on it); the simple but functional VW Bus to the Vanagon (I own an '84) and the sporty styling of the Scirocco (I own an '84). This concept Microbus does not remind me of the past but it does evoke my gag reflex. If you have to make it look like a pregnant whale at least drop the headlights down some and drop the side body metal/carbon fiber sheeting to at least halfway to the ground to provide some pleasing balance to the eye. As it looks in concept, it makes me think the designer(s) had had a very rough night before deadline and threw something together, and instead of engineering the vehicle, they relied entirely on the word of a marketer who wants to sell product but is not interested in what consumers might want but telling them what they need or think they want. It also reminds of a design by committee- something like a horse designed by committee and the result is a camel. Also, from the descriptions of the interior of the vehicle, there is no utility to it (unless you're depending on the LT model to provide that). What made the original bus a success was its design, simplicity, utility, room, flexibility, and pricing for the average individual- not wealthy soccer moms... VW seems to have gotten away from the 'peoples car' as originally designed by Porsche and carried through into the 80's. It seems VW has had limited marketing success with its upper scale Jetta- oooops... I meant Passat. I get the distinct impression that VW is floundering as a company and relies on bean counters to design automobiles rather than 'engineering designers' with input from real world customers. Middle to low income families cannot afford you anymore as they could 20-45 years ago because of VW's twisted thinking it could compete with Honda, Toyota or Nissan. This kind of thinking will always relegate VW to the back of the pack scrambling for crumbs. It's time VW went out into the real world and asked people what they really want instead of relying on Ford's, GM's or Chrysler/Daimler's marketing figures.