Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:24:27 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Pipes
Comments: To: MICHAEL POPE <raskayamon@MSN.COM>

You need to remove the hoses and check the pipe ends to make sure they are not separating. The ends crack in such fashion that the barb and steel insert will move out of the pipe. This leaves a depression under the hose where it is clamped keeping it from sealing. At some point, the insert will completely fall out dumping the coolant instantly. Of course, if this happens when the engine is hot and under load will cause engine damage such as internal head gasket leaks etc. Even if the engine is shut down immediately, (it is too late once you know the coolant loss occurred), the sudden loss will allow hot spots and uneven cooling that the engine may never be the same. This pipe problem needs to be fixed.

Dennis