Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:14:28 -0800
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      LED tail lights (was Skylight Arm)

At 04:53 AM 12/22/2003, Eric wrote: >What's the deal with these? >http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/automotive/vanagon/pics/misc/NewBusTailLights.jpg > What/where did you get these?

Errrrr... those? Actually, they are a hack job I performed one boring afternoon. I stuffed about 2 dozen bright red LED's into each housing to help brighten things up a bit. It does, too...

Here's the original post I made to the group when I did it: Steve

---------------------- >The stock tail lights on the Westy kind of give me >the creeps... they just aren't very bright and when it's >foggy out I worry about getting rear ended by some fool >who's not paying good attention.... > >Higher wattage bulbs aren't a good answer, because I >don't wanna melt my lenses. There's an empty spot >spot at the bottom center of the tail light assembly >that's just a reflector area, and there's a hole in the >assembly behind it where a bulb *could* go if there >was a socket in it. I thought about adding a socket >and bulb in this spot behind the reflector, but I was still >afraid of putting too much heat into the plastic tail light >housing. > >I needed to order a big pile of LED's for another project, >so I figured I'd buy an extra big bag of super bright red >ones and fool around with putting some in the tail light >housing to pump up the visibility a bit. > >I took a dremel tool and carefully cut out the black >plastic (with the empty bulb hole) that was behind the >reflector area at the lower center. Then I built a little >circuit board that just fit the rectangular hole I'd just >opened up and I put 24 LED's on the board in a 4 x 6 >grid along with the appropriate resistors to set the LED >current at about 22mA. I also added 2 diodes (1N4005) >and another resistor in series with the entire LED cluster. >When I was done, I had 3 wires from my LED assembly. >One goes to ground, one goes to the tail light circuit and >one goes to the brake light circuit. >Sorta like this in ASCII.... > > >Tail power----|>|-----v^v^v^v------+ > | >Brake power----------------|>|----+----v^v^v^v------ LED' -+ > +-----v^v^v^v------ LED' -+ > +-----v^v^v^v------ LED' -+ > | > Ground > > >When the tail lights are on, current flows through 2 >resistors in series, so the LEDS only get about 5 mA >of current and they are on at reduced brightness. >When the brake lights are on, current is only limited by >one resistor and the LED's are much brighter. > >I assembled my little LED circuit boards into the tail >light housings with a few dots of well placed epoxy, >and gave it a try... Yippee! It works, and gives a little >more light out the ass end! > >Here's a photo showing the "new" tail lights in 3 different >modes. Tail lights only, brake lights only, and both on. ><http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/automotive/vanagon/pics/misc/NewBusTailLights.jpg> > >Now I need to find a high center mounted 3rd brake light >that looks decent and works nice in a vanagon... >Has anyone installed one of these that they like? > >Cheers,

Steve EJ22 -> '86 Westy "Escape Pod"