Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:26:30 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon fire fighting techniques

Lots of good information has come and gone on this thread, almost to the point of paranoia on some parts :-) It only makes sense to take care of the fuel lines on any vehicle as old as our machines.

As an observer, I conclude that the worst issue we face is the time it takes for the driver to realize that there is a fire to be dealt with. Our friend in NYC mentioned that others saw the smoke and maybe flames and were frantically trying to get his attention. By the time someone outside realizes the problem, and decides to take action to let us know there is a fire, I its probably already too late to do much with a few fire extinquishers. Those who have reported their own experiences seem to be split between those who did catch it early and got it out, and those who got to it too late, with a horrific result.

Just as in any other fire issue, prevention is top priority, but warning is second. We don't usually install halon extinguishers in our homes, but we always, I hope, have alarms and monitors that will alert us, to smoke and flames, and then we grab the extinguisher, call for help, or do whatever we can to control and put out the fire.

The conclusion is that logically, we need smoke and fire detectors to give us a head start on grabbing our extinguishers and fighting what would hopefully then be a localized fire that we can control. Who will come up with smoke and flame detectors that we can install in the engine bay, to alert us the instant a fire begins to burn? I think that is the way to go that makes the most sense.

Just IMHO.

John