Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:39:32 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 4th Gear Ratio Swaps?

It is a fallacy that regearing the Vanagon tranny for lower rpms at the same road speed will make much difference in MPG of gasoline. The reason is simple. Modern gasoline engines burn nearly the same fuel/hp across a fairly wide range of rpm. This data is available for many engines in published SAE papers. At the speed where the stock .85 4th gives 4000 rpm the .77 (from the 5 speed 5th) gives 3600. It takes the same HP to go 70mph whether you are doing 4000 rpm or 3600 so gearing for the lower rpm can't have much direct effect on MPG. In practice, making the top gear taller may even reduce MPG for indirect reasons.

Over the past many years I have often driven a certain route of about 300 hundred miles in my Syncro. On occasion I make the trip without using 4th gear and I cruise at the upper rpms of 3rd gear instead. I find I get better MPG when I do this even though I spend hours at a much higher rpm than if I was in 4th. That is because I drive a little slower when I leave it in 3rd.

Earlier this year I regeared my tranny by changing the 2,3,4 ratios along with the r+p. I intentionally lowered 4th to INCREASE rpms on the the highway. My overall highway MPG improved slightly after this though that was not why I did it.

Driving speed is far and away the largest factor that influences highway fuel economy in Vanagons. Making 4th taller encourages you to drive faster, at least it does me. Then MPG goes down not up.

Mark

Daryl Christensen wrote: > > I put a taller 4th in during rebuilds quite frequently. The .77 4th drops > about 500 RPM at cruising speeds compared to the .85 stock ratio. So far > everyone loves em but I can't swear it gives you anymore mileage. Haven't > actually heard of any definitive results. > Daryl of AA Transaxle >