Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:15:14 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was running rich cold...
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

Sorry to hear about your Christmas time hassles. More than likely, the outer seal has failed due to a combination of age and use or abuse. How many miles are on the engine and what is its overall condition? If the compression, leak down, and oil pressure is good, than you may have many more good miles to go. I now have 210K on the FUN BUS with the original engine including the head gaskets. A few of my customers are now there also. It is possible. The hardest part of doing a gasket repair is the removal of the exhaust pipes. After this, the next hurdle may be removing the heads from the cylinder barrels. The labor books estimate 9-10 hours for this job, both sides. You will need the head gaskets set, with exhaust gaskets, and the head nuts should always be replaced. For sealing the gaskets, I have used both Hylomar and the "Right Stuff" with great success. The Hylomar can also be used on the O rings on the ends of the cylinders. The Hylomar is a non hardening sealer that fill many voids including light pitting on the head surface. The "Right Stuff" is a rubber type sealant that actually bonds to both metal and rubber surfaces. American OEMs use it to replace formed oil pan and valve cover gaskets, it can fill larger gaps. Use this if the head or case is heavily pitted. Do not use it on the cylinder O rings or the top cylinder metal gasket. It will fail there. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Dennis