Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:21:46 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: metal lids...Re: Vanagon fire fighting techniques

I have seen numerous Vanagons that were destroyed by engine fires, some with metal lids and some with the newer type. I have also seen numerous Vanagons that survived engine fires, some with metal lids and some with the newer type.

The type of lid may make a difference in some circumstances but I would suggest that your money is better spent on carrying a large extinguisher and paying closer attention to the condition of the fuel lines and fittings. Slowing the fires progress into the passenger compartment may do little to save the vehicle from the junkyard after the fire. A fire that starts with a gasoline leak can soon become an electrical fire involving the unfused and always live circuits that VW put in the engine compartment. Once the main wiring harness is involved the vehicle is likely to be declared a total loss even if the interior is still pretty good. I have a Syncro in my possession now that had a bad engine fire that did not reach the fuel tank. Inside the wiring loom there are burned up wires all the way to the fuse panel, instrument cluster, and steering column. One of the main wiring connectors is melted to the back of the fuse panel and can't be unplugged.

Years ago I had a friend with a late model loaf that had a small engine fire. The damage did not seem too bad but the repair bill grew fairly enormous as the shop found more and more damage to wiring and fuel injection components. The interior was untouched by the fire and there was no damage to the paint either.

Mark

JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > > In a message dated 12/22/03 11:39:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, > jbrush@AROS.NET writes: > > > I conclude that the worst issue we face is the time it > > takes for the driver to realize that there is a fire to be dealt with. > > this is why you need a metal lid. because they buy you more time. > i have 2 for sale if anyone's interested. > > chris