Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:14:08 -0500
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Air Fuel Mixture Logic

Hi All:

I am in the process of fixing all the teething problems of bringing up a new engine for my Federal 82 Vanagon (2.0L type IV engine). I am still the process of trying to get the engine to idle well and set the air fuel mixture. I am looking for some suggestions or comments on my reasoning process.

Current situation: - the FI system checks out and fuel pressure is to specification. - valves were readjusted (after they pumped up) and compression is now 110-120 in all cylinders,

Problem: Can't get the car to idle well enough to set the timing using a timing light or the mixture using a O2 sensor. - To start the engine I have the timing statically set at 7.5 BTDC. - Idle mixture screw 8 (half turns) open and the CO mixture screw mostly closed. These were the settings from my old engine. - The car will immediately start but will need the throttle to be held open to continue to run (at about 1500 rpm). If I do not hold the throttle open the engine will die. Vacuum at 1500 rpm is about 15 InHg.

By my reasoning, I am running too rich so I need to give the engine more air. I have tried opening both the idle screw all the way and leaning the mixture at the AFM. This improves thing slightly, but still requires more air (by opening the throttle). If I now vary the timing I can get the engine to idle (poorly), but the timing must be advanced around 16-20 to get this to happen. Vacuum decreases when I do this.

By opening the throttle I am also delivering more gas. So maybe it is not the mixture at all but something to do with the injector spray pattern. I have not checked this since the old engine was removed, but a year ago they gave me a nice conical pattern. They were stored dry as not to gum up.

So what does the community think the initial problem is? Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards, --Jeff Strickrott 82 Westy, South Florida