Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:17:44 -0500
From:         Gary McEachern <GlmceN@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: can the front blower motor be lubricated when it starts to
              squeal?

Chris,

I have been considering this for some time now. I have replaced 3 blower motors in the past and have the same problem you now face. In the past I have been able to replace the blower during the warmer weather. I have noticed that the gummed up blowers tends to free up when the rear bearing is lubricated. This being the case I have considered cutting a hole in the shroud above the heater that would allow me to add a little bit of solvent and oil to lube the motor. I don't how long this would last. My past experience with replaced blower motors tells me that this could be a worthwile endeavor!

Anyone out there with a removed heater assembly that could identify the best location to cut a hole above the rear blower bearing that would allow one to lube the bearing? I suspect this could be accessed once the dash cluster is removed. I was thinking of using a hole saw to cut a large enough opening to add some oil to the beraing. The hole could be covered once the lube is applied.

Gary

JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote:

>the front heater blower motor on my vanagon is starting to squeal >intermittantly.. the warning cries of its iminent death.. which involves the dreaded >dash removal (dont want to tackle this in the middle of winter).. is there >any way the motor can be lubricated to extend its life a little more...without >removing the whole dash? any trick lubrication methods or lube points? the >motor still works, just squeals once in a while.. > >any ideas appreciated.. > >chris >

-- Gary McEachern Reading, Ma '90 Westy Subavanagon '86 Wolfy Subavanagon '87 Syncro (Son's van)

__________________________________________________________________ New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service. Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until 3/1/04. Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register Act now to get a personalized email address!

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.