Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:58:06 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      cameras for viewing front heater fan

If you want to try lubricating your Vanagon's front heater fan without removing the dash, etc. you need a reasonably small video camera. I'll describe what I used and another option. For either, you will need a monitor or TV that accepts standard NTSC video, typically thru an RCA type jack.

The camera I used came from Allelectronics.com (item VC-360). Click on "cameras" to see various offerings. It's a bare board pin-hole type, 1.2 inches square for $49. I wanted something small and cheap. They now have a few other cameras that may also be suitable and less trouble. The advantage of the "pinhole" type is that it is already focused reasonably well at all distances. With this camera I had to put it in a small plastic box for protection and find a suitable power supply and connector. Having done that, it worked well and the resolution was sufficient. Since it does not have any built-in light source, I used a tail lite bulb dangled into the air intake and manipulating it as well as the camera and the lubricating probe was rather challenging. About the time I was doing all this, I found that Harbor Freight had a small camera for $30. I ordered one to see how well it would work, since the price was so low. At Harborfreight.com it is item 47546. In catalog 744-k it is item 47546-1rzh also at $30. In some catalogs it is priced at $40 instead of $30. The advantages of this camera besides the price are: built-in IR LED illumination, power supply included, small weatherproof case, 80 ft of cable!. The disadvantage of this camera is that it uses a conventional lens which seems to be focused at infinity and therefore produces a rather blurry image when trying to view a fan at a distance of 6" or a foot. After I received this camera, I pulled off my van's grill, etc. again and stuck it in there just to see how well it would work. The built-in illumination was bright enough and very convenient, but when I bought it close to the fan the image was blurry enough that it would have been difficult to use if I hadn't already been familiar with what I expected to see. I got this camera out again and played with it again today. I found that by holding a small cheap plastic magnifying glass against the front of the camera, it would give sharp images of things at a distance of 6 to 12 inches. I tried a few different lenses and it seems that something with a focal length of 2" to 3 1/2 " would work with 2 1/2 to 3 " best. To check the focal length of a converging lens: in a dimly lit room let light from a window or other light source that is at least 30 ft away come thru the lens and hit a plain white surface a few inches from the lens. Adjust the distance between the lens and the "screen" until you see a clear image of the window frame, etc. The distance between the lens and the image is approximately the focal length. (I admit it, I'm a physics teacher.) Anyway, knowing what I know now, I would get the Harbor Freight camera and tape a small magnifying glass on the front of it, but YMMV.

Have fun, Larry A.