Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:39:41 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: westy pop top inside covering "fabric" cleanup/ coverup
              question...

My 83 diesel westy came with some minor mold in the top. It wasn't a problem to me when I got it, but as the interior becomes better-looking with each passing weekend, it's something I want to take care of eventually.

The technique used under the poptop was called "flocking," I think, where adhesive was sprayed on followed by chopped polyester. Over the years the glue weakens and releases the polyester fibers somewhat. I'm planning to go over the interior top with a vacuum or wipe down with a good rag.

As far as killing the mold, bleach applied with a rag should do it, watered down say 7-1. Be sure to cover the seats and carpets and bed, while you're working upstairs, with a tarp.

Don't wipe off immediately but leave for a while and let the bleach kill the mold. If it doesn't lose its color, then it's long dead, no longer a mold but a stain. I don't know what you could do for that but paint over it with a roller so the finish would at least somewhat resemble the texture of the original.

I would recommend a product called Kilz, an interior primer/milder killer that is almost totally opaque. It's maid to cover leak stains on ceilings that leak through coat after coat of paint.

Jim