Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:43:51 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: rebuilding your own heads
Comments: To: "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

I've rebuilt a number of cast-iron heads, which tend to be relatively easy, especially if you owned the car they are in and know what has and has not happened to them.

If yo don't know if a head is warped or leaking, you should take it to a shop for testing. They'll take the springs and valves out, but this is something you should do yourself to preserve the order of the parts. Number 1 cylinder I and E valves and springs should be kept together, say in a board marked with cylinder numbers and drilled for valves with corresponding nails for springs.

A dremel or air tool will help clean deposits out of the chambers and passageways. It doesn't hurt to smooth up the passageways if you have time to kill at this point.

If the seats and valves are good, then you will know how everything must go back. If they need replacing, knowing which seats and valves go together helps the detective work.

There are various means of testing the strength of springs, they should match within spec. A ship probably isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt, they will charge you for a new set rather than go to all that trouble.

With the springs out, the (matching) valves and be reinsersted into their respective guides for a wiggle test, and if a dial indicator on a stand (clamped to the head) shows that the valve stem wiggles out of tolerance in the guide, the guide must be pushed out and a new on pushed in and reamed. The valve stems may be worn down but not likely, they are measured with a micrometer.

Once new valve guides are pushed in to the prescribed depth (exactly, and without damaging the head by excessive pushing on it) then they must be reamed, and in some cases a seal must be installed, often with a special tool.

A professional should look at the seats and valves. If they're OK, a nice job of lapping is in order. This is a fairly easy procedure that uses a variety of special tools you can get at a parts store, they all come with instructions so I'll skip lapping.

If the seats and valves are not in order, they will need regrinding or replacing, and a shop should make that call. Replacing seats is not something you can do yourself. Doing a good job of grinding is not something you can do without specialized equipment, either.

In either event, the valves and seats will require lapping.

Now it's time to re-assemble. For every type of head there is a gadget to remove and assemble the valve springs and put the retainer clips back into place. For overhead cam engines, there's the assembly of the valve mechansm, and for pushrod engines there's reinstallation of the rocker shaft and rockers, all according to your workshop manual.

I've probably left out a thing or two but this would be the main stuff to be concerned with.

You can do most of that yourself, but it's a lot of work, and takes a number of special tools. Except for the valve grinding stuff, the tools are pretty cheap.

If you make a mistake or do an inadequate job, though, you're risking the heart of an engine rebuild. This is especially true if your engine has high miles on it.

Most people are much better off going to a good rebuilder.

I don't know how much a rebuild would cost (varies a lot by type of head, availability of parts, and quality of work). The lowest price will almost assuredly not be what you want.

Jim