Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:11:00 -0800
From:         Ben S <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>
Subject:      help needed diagnosing blown head gasket

so the holidays were going well, i had just found a nice cheap apt in south lake tahoe and had gone down to the bay area to pick up a load of stuff and do some routine maintenance on the van. i changed the oil and replaced a broken throttle spring and made a late departure for the mountain.

around 1am, i was driving up 50 with my gf following in her car. the van was running strong. when suddenly, my oil pressure light and buzzer came on. i killed the engine immediately and coasted to a stop. i got out and checked the dipstick, it looked dry. i got on my back in a nice snowy puddle and looked around. there appeared to be a few drops of fresh looking oil hanging from various parts of the engine. i checked the drain plug and filter, thinking i must have installed them incorrectly, but there didn't seem to be any fresh oil around either and the filter felt tight. i had 3 more quarts of oil, which i put in and continued to drive since i was stopped in a bad spot. at first, the engine felt a little weak, but once i got up to 3rd gear it felt normal. after about 7 miles, the oil pressure warning came on again. this time, i got my gf to drive me up to town where i called for a tow. i got to my place around 3am and crashed.

this afternoon, i went to take a better look. at this point i was still thinking that my problem was some kind of oil leak, so first i checked the oil level. it was overfilled. this leads me to beleive that perhaps i made an erronous reading the night before. it was dark and snowing; i was on a steep hill on a blind curve blocking half a lane and was quite anxious and hurried. so i started the engine cautiously. it started easily and idled smoothly. the oil pressure light stayed off. and huge clouds of white smoke billowed from the exhaust.

now i've heard enough stories to know this usually means coolant getting burned due to a blown head gasket. so i checked the coolant. the previous day when i had changed the oil, the coolant was halfway between the min and max line, now it was just below the min line (in the recovery tank). i pulled the pressure cap off the expansion tank and looked at that coolant--no sign of oil. i drained all the oil and saw no sign of coolant.

so all in all, it sounds a lot like a cleanly blown head gasket that is letting me burn coolant without any coolant-oil mixing. the one thing that is confusing me is why my oil pressure light came on twice.

i'd like to drive down off the mountain to a warmer altitude where i have a friend who could help me out and a more pleasant environment to work in, but i'm afraid of doing more damage to my engine if the oil pressure really is dropping or if coolant gets into the oil. i've heard stories of people driving vanagons with blown head gaskets for hundreds of miles, continuously adding coolant, but i never heard them say anything about oil pressure issues, just white smoke and dissapearing coolant.

do these symptoms sound consistant with a blown head gasket? would it be safe to drive a couple hundred miles to santa rosa to fix there or should i try to get it fixed up here in the mountains? any ideas why the oil light came on? could this be anything besides a blown head gasket? if i was burning oil, would the smoke still be white? are there any other tests that i can run without a compression tester? anyone in the south lake tahoe area want to help me fix this? i've got no problem paying for help, i just hate going to a mechanic because then i don't get to be involved and learn anything.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Ben.