Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:37:48 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: help needed diagnosing blown head gasket
Comments: To: Ben S <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>

Ben, before you run your van again, GET A COMPRESSION TEST!!!!! Even if you have to go and buy a guage yourself. Here is why.

Driving around in Santa Fe, NM I started to notice that as I would go around to the right on right hand clover leaf ramps on highways, my van would blow white smoke. On the straight-away it would not. Didn't seem to do it on left hand turns. Then on a drive back to Alabama, a few miles out from Clinton, Ok on a Saturday night, I was crusing along doing about 70 on I-40 when there was loud POP!!! I couldn't imagine what it was. There was no change in any of my guages, van handled well, all seemed well. Then a tractor trailer rig began to pull up from behind and I could see in the rear view mirror in the approaching lights what seemed like smoke boiling around the truck. Then it dawned on me that the smoke was COMING FROM ME!!! I was approaching an off ramp and I left the highway and pulled into a truck stop.

Walking around to the rear I saw the rear of the van was covered with oil. Looking underneath, oil was dripping. I could not imagine what the problem was. Figured a split line or blown gasket somewhere. One of the service people checked the oli, found it off the dip stick. Put oil back in the engine, started it up, and oil ran out underneath. Being late evening on Saturday night. Nothing was going to happen until Monday, so I have the vehicle picked up and taken into the nearest town....Clinton, OK. On Monday, i went to the garage where the van had been taken, and the mechanic said I had a valve cover gasket leak, and he went ahead and installed a new one. While I was standing there, after checking the oil, the engine was started. No Oil leak. In just a few moments the mechanic helper revved the engine just a bit and POP!!! something blew and oil came pouring out. WE could see the Rocker cover gasket blown out on the left side for the engine. . That was puzzling. The mechanic pulled the plugs on that side and did a compression check. "0" compression on the left front cylinder. The mechanic surmised a number of potential problems, but none for sure.

I rented a U-haul truck and an auto-trailer, loaded the van up, and drove to Birmingham, AL, delivering the van to a mechanic I knew and trusted. I asked the mechanic to pull the engine, and then pull the cylinders.

When I went to see the mechanic, he showed me a horriffic sight. One side of the piston and cylinder was badly scored and galled with the rings acutally seized in the lands. There was a hole in the top of the piston at the edge, burned clear through, the size of a quarter to a half-dollar. There was metal all in the engine. I opted for a complete engine overhaul, with a all new pistons and cylinders.

With the disclosure of the hole in the piston, the cause of blowing out of the seals became clear. When I was out on I-40 and the hole developed, the compression of the cylinder was blowing through the hole, pressurizing the crankcase to the point that the pressure would blow up through the pushrod housings into the rocker cover, and blow out the gasket.

The smoke while driving in Santa Fe, was a warning of impending failure of the piston. I didn't pay attention, and go and have a compression check. Later, when there was a loud POP, and smoke everywhere, just like the smoke in Santa Fe, was again and announcement something was radically wrong. A compression check finally disclosed a major problem. Fortunately I looked into it before losing all oil and throwing a rod through the block, which the 2.1 L WBX is prone to do.

There are many things in my experience with my van that parllel what you are experiencing.

The smoke you are experiencing is a BIG warning!!!! The only way to know about the integrity of your engine is to do a compression check. Otherwise, you risk and engine failue.

Note!!! Not one time did I ever have the oil light to come on, thoroughout all this!!! Yet the engine had essentially failed.

Best of luck with this.

Regards,