Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:55:34 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Going south again, to buy a Westy, i need info on US/state law.

First, good day guys and happy holidays.

Fact: -I am buried in snow, i hate it. -i want to go south again, can't wait another years. -Thinking of FL or....CA again. -My plan is to buy a rust free 77-78-79 Westy full camper (dream bus) or a clean Vanagon and bring this one back to Montreal -i Have 3 weeks at the end of February, 6 days to go to CA, 10 to find and repair a westy, visit and take some sun! I miss the sun! and 6 days to come back. (Canadian dollar is stronger than before; it's a good time for me to buy a US westy)

I found most answer to my Import/ export question on the web but i still have a few one.

Question for my US friends: -Clear title??? The "title", is it what we call "Registration paper- certificate of ownership", what does "clear" mean, what if the title is not clear???

-OK, am Canadian with no permanent address, in CA or FL. I hope that the owner would let me drive back with the van-bus registered at is name, that would be the easiest way, but am pretty sure they won't agree as the drive is quite long. So, can I get a transitory registration/title? Like a 8 to 15 days title???? (Am having problem getting the right English words here but i hope you understand what am trying to say!) In other words, they must be a way I can get a temporary licence plate so I can drive this one back home. (I will drive there with a friend in my 73)

-I spoke to a US custom person and she told me that once at the border I have to leave the van "title / registration for 3 full days, so they will verify if the vehicle is "clear" of any debt (is that what "clear title" mean?), theft, or if it was damaged in an accident or other stuff like that.

-I also have a friend in LA who could buy the van for me at is name so I could drive the bus back and make the switch at home, but if possible, I would like to do that myself.

-The main problem is not the "import" portion but to legally drive the vehicle back home!!!

Any input from you guys would be appreciated! (States law and stuff)

Question for my Canadian friends: Anyone did that? Any info? Any trick? Any web-link I don't know?

Thanks a bunch, Ben http://www.benplace.com/