Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:42:45 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      What makes a pyrometer's cable so special?

Well David, it depends;

If it's a thermocouple, then you need to use thermocouple extension wire (of the same type, "T", "J", "K", "R", "S", etc.) and of sufficient gauge to minimize the resistance. The affect of a few feet of, say, 16-18ga extension wire is negligible on the calibration. However, if you use regular copper wire, then you're creating a secondary thermoelectric junction. The thermoelectric potential generated would then result from the temperature differential between the TC tip and the connection point to the extension wire - *not* between the "meter" (where the zero junction compensation is measured) and the tip. The resulting error is the difference between the ambient temperature at the meter, and that at the connection to the extension cable (plus some minor thermoelectric offset caused by the additional junction at the meter terminals).

If it's a thermistor (very likely for inexpensive units), the measurement element is a semiconductor whose resistance decreases (semilogarithmically) with temperature (i.e. very high - many kohms typically - at ambient, decreasing to tens of ohms, or less, at operating temp). For these units, any extension wire will simply result in a nonlinear error that increases exponentially with temperature. The error is basically zero at ambient temp, and increases dramatically at higher temperatures. This type of sensor is used frequently for low accuracy, low cost applications, since unlike a thermocouple, it is a direct measurement (no cold junction compensation is required).

If it's an RTD (resistance temperature detector), it will almost certainly be a 2-wire 1000ohm nickel RTD. For this type of sensor, addition of extension wire is of no consequence at all, as the basic sensor resistance is so high, and the change in resistance per unit temperature change (per unit basic probe resistance - i.e. Ohm/Ohm/°C) is quite small.

Just measure the disconnected probe. If there's basically no resistance, it's a TC. If it's a nice round number like 100, 200, or 1000ohms, it's likely an RTD, and if its very high 4.5Kohms for example, it's a thermistor.

Keith Hughes