Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:39:15 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: was Epoxy for bumper molding  repair

There's been quite a bit of condemnation on the list for the people who hit-and-run animals, which I agree with. But what about the owners of these animals? Aren't they usually the ones responsible for their dogs getting hit in the first place?

I've had first hand experience with this problem. About 12 years ago, I hit a Bull Mastiff while driving home one night. I was doing about 30 MPH when the dog darted out in front of my '87 Vanagon. The impact cracked my bumper, grille and headlights. Needless to say, I stopped. Luckily the accident happened in front of the house where the dog lived. The owner heard the commotion and came outside right after the accident. This is when the "fun" started. Understandably, the dog's owner was quite upset, however he had the balls to blamed me for the accident. After a few tense minutes, we agreed to exchange phone numbers and deal with it later so he could take his dog to the vet. The dog survived and the owner and I ended up in small claims court.

He sued me. I sued him. I won. The case took less then 5 minutes. Here in California, a dog owner is legally responsible for controlling their animal. It was a slam dunk. Not only did this guy have to pay me $1200 for the damage to my van, he also had to pay more then $2700 in vet bills. I bet he's more careful about controlling his dogs now.

Cats are a bit more problematic, because here in California cats are allowed to roam free.

Accidents do happen. And I agree that it is reprehensible to hit-and-run any animal (or person). However, most of these incidents could've been avoided had the dog's owner controlled the animal.

Cheers,

Jeff