Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:54:04 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Going south again, to buy a Westy,
              i need info on US/state law.
Comments: To: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Ben,

Here in California, every vehicle owner is issued a "Certificate of Title", often called a pink slip. This is the piece of paper that establishes and confirms ownership. The right to operate the vehicle on the highway is established through the yearly "Vehicle Registration". This is the piece of paper that comes every year after the owner/operator pays their yearly registration fees (and bi-annual smog inspection). When you buy a car in California, all you really need from the previous owner is the signed Certificate of Title. Other states may require a bill of sale from the previous owner before you can register the vehicle in your name.

If you buy a vehicle in California, you do not need a moving permit or temporary registration unless the vehicle is not currently registered. I think that some states require the previous owner to turn in the license plates to DMV when a vehicle is sold, but California does not. So you can drive the van back to Canada on the current plates and registration. Just make sure you have insurance.

If you need any vans looked at in the Sacramento area, let me know and I'll check it out for you.

Cheers and Good Luck,

Jeff