Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:05:55 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Going south again, to buy a Westy,
              i need info on US/state law.
Comments: To: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Ben,

In California, the registration and plates are for the vehicle, not the owner. In other words... no refund for the unused portion and the plates stay with the car.

All the vehicle seller has to do is sign the title and mail in a Release of Liability form to DMV. The Release of Liability form is attached to every Certificate of Title. This form is used to inform the DMV of:

- who bought the vehicle - when it was purchased - the purchase price - the mileage

If you buy a van here for export, you do not need to go to CA DMV. There's absolutely no reason to. Just take the title, the bill of sale, get some insurance and drive home.

Cheers,

Jeff

First, thanks to all of you!

>>>If you buy a vehicle in California, you do not need a moving permit or temporary registration unless the vehicle is not currently registered. I think that some states require the previous owner to turn in the license plates to DMV when a vehicle is sold, but California does not. So you can drive the van back to Canada on the current plates and registration. Just make sure you have insurance.<<<

>>>but California does not. So you can drive the van back to Canada on the current plates and registration.<<<< How can the registration still be valid after it's sold? don't you want your money back? how much is a licence plate? i could steal a bank with it and use it as a runaway Bus :-))))) (at 55mph), the guy is still accountable for his vehicle??? Well, i think i will call the CA DMV.

Still something i don't understand, let me explain myself: Here, my wetsy registration plate/title cost 255$ a year, i pay this one every first day of March each year, if i sell my westy in June, i will have a refund of about 175$. Normaly, to do transaction we need to go to the DMV office and make the change with the 2 party present, the guy pay the fee + all applicable tax. I get my 175, he pay it's 255 and that it!

Now, If the guys is from another province or even country, i still have to go to the DMV office, stop my registration, he as to pay a temporary plate (good for 10 days) but the registration will still be at my name until he do the final registration in his country / state / province, in the mean time he will have a temporary pink paper that will state that he his the new owner.

Note: in Quebec, invalidity insurance is included in the registration fee, that mean if i kill/injure someone with my car, the SAAQ (Quebec Registration bureau) will cover all cost (hospital...) That is why it's so expensive, that is also why when you sell a vehicle you want your money back...

Ok, let me try to put that stuff together... -I go there (if i don't break! and stay at one of you guys home for a week to fix my bus...he he), find one, pay the guys with CAN money and tell hime it's worth more than is US$ ;-))))))

-(Ex.: California) Check if the Title is clear, run a Carfax on it, buy this one, i guess he as to sign the title, i make hime do a proof of sale with VIN# (standard stuff in any country), to be sure i go to the CA DMV, get some kind of temporary driving licence, drive back, leave the van for 3 days at the US/Canada custom until the vehicle is check/clear, come back after 3 days, get to the Canada custom, fill the import paper, go home, get mechanical inspestion, get evaluation and finaly get my registration....

Well, a lot of trouble! but, there is no price for a rust free westy!

Am all mix-up Cheers, Ben