Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:12:02 -0800
From:         "MacLachlan, Bill" <Bill.MacLachlan@CITY.BURNABY.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: FW: RE: Coolant Overflowing!

I've replaced a radiator. Well, since mine is one of the all metal ones, I pulled it, and had it tanked and rodded. Counts as replacing, I think.

Diagnosis that worked for me: Take the grille off the front of the van.( 1/4 turn on the screws is all that's needed) Start the cold engine. Let it run. As motor warms up, feel the radiator surface. If its all stone cold, the thermostat ain't opened yet. Once the thermostat opens and the radiator starts to warm up, it should warm up evenly all over. Clogged patches in the radiator will stay cold while everything else warms up. If you've got an unevenly heating radiator, you've got a clogged one. Fix it. Dropping the rad is not a big deal. Wet, yes, so have a change of clothes/towels around...but not hard.

Pretty easy diagnosis- ya don't need any tools- the grille can be removed using a butter knife to turn the screws a quarter turn. But watch out, the plastic will be brittle. I'd use a real screwdriver.

-----Original Message----- From: Birkenfeld Jeff [mailto:BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM] Sent: December 30, 2003 8:47 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: FW: RE: Coolant Overflowing!