Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:17:20 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Headlight relay upgrade?
Comments: To: Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>

I'll so a little snipping here to shorten things up to make the subject a little brighter. :)

Please see ####

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

US automotive headlamps have a "Test Voltage" of 12.8V according to FMVSS No. 108. So the designer of the bulb is expecting a 0.7V drop from the alternator to the headlamp, assuming a 13.5V alternator output.

<http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm>

In Europe the test voltage is 13.2V according to ECE R37.

##### I didn't know these numbers... good things to know!

These standards may not have been in effect when the Vanagon was produced but I'm sure new bulbs will use these guidelines.

So I think the ideal thing to do would be to upgrade the lighting system (wiring & relay) to provide 12.8V at the headlamps. This will optimize light output as well as bulb life. Perhaps our Vanagons are already capable of doing this? Do the European Vanagons have larger wiring to satisfy the 13.2V? I hadn't thought of this before.

##### I'd make to so that you have the most voltage possible. The thing you have to remember is the more current, the more of a voltage drop you will get. So it would be almost impossible to have 13.2V at both high beam and low beam. The European T3s have the same wire harness as the North American Vanagons.

I use Philips Vision Plus bulbs for high beam on the GTI; it has HID low beam now. ACH! THE HORROR! They are E-code lamps which are MUCH better than the DOT HID lamps we have here. Have you seen the glare from a Honda S2000? Terrible!

<http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/int_en/prof/about/press/automotive/resu ltsVision.html>

Philips does not offer Vision Plus in a 9004, although they do offer the Premium series which is supposedly pretty good. I have not tried these yet. For starters, I have found that a good cleaning of the lenses inside and out has a profound effect!

##### Not many manufacturers make 'decent' bulbs in the 9004 format. Finding a band name in 80/100W is almost impossible. I have lots of beefs about new cars and their crappy headlights. Especially when I drive something small like a Golf and see an F-350 coming towards me.

Ryan