Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:17:10 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: westy hookup templates
Comments: To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>

I don't know without taking my hookups out again, but here's how I did

it:

Get the whole set, if you need it, from Bus Depot or similar with the gaskets. Lay the plastic parts out straight on a piece of cardboard, tracing the outside of each, marking the holes. Cut out the interiors and punch small centers for the holes. Make SURE you can mount your plastic pieces to this, if you can't then you don't want to cut anything yet. Adjust the template until it fits the plastic pieces perfectly.

The pieces should be spaced about 1/8 inch apart. that's from observation, someone who knows may tell you differently.

Now it's time to transfer this to the car. Again, from observation, I placed the centerline of the left-hand unit (distance between mounting

screws) at the centerline of the flue vent cover, so that a plumb line

held at the flue vent cover would pass through the center of the electical hookup, which I think goes on the left.

The top of the plastic units should be 3/4 inch from the groove in the

body panel.

Cover the area with 2 inch wide masking tape. transter (trace) the template to the taped surface. Whatever tool you're using (I used a jigsaw) be sure to allow a tape area to accomodate the "swing" of the sole of the tool when you work.

Don't remember the drill I used for the self tapping screws, but choose

carefully--the screws supplied with the kits aren't very forgiving.

Hope this helps,

Jim