Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:49:01 -0500
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: First Time Rear Brakes
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>

John,

BTDT just recently... responses interleaved below:

>Removed bolt retaining drum to hub.

2 small bolts, on each drum, right? Not the big nut in the middle!

>Tapped drum all the way around with 3 pound hammer. Saw the drum move >slghtly towards the ends of the studs.

I had to whack these *way* harder than I expected to get them off. I tried being gentle with a rubber mallet at first, then ended up with a 3-pound hammer.

>Now what?? I know I must back off the brake adjuster, but I cannot see >or feel anything inside the drum through the adjustment hole. Is there a >some special tool of a special shape that I need to fit into the drum >and reach the right spot?? My little screwdriver just doesn't do a thing.

The adjuster wheel is offset from the hole slightly (don't ask *me* why... I didn't design it :-). If you stuff your head and a flashlight into the wheel well, you should be able to see it... but you'll need to adjust it by feel.

On the right side of the van, the adjuster wheel is slightly *behind* the hole. Loosen brake on this side by moving the wheel UP when working through the little hole in the backing plate.

On the left side of the van, the adjuster wheel is slightly *forward of* the hole. Loosen brake on this side by moving the wheel DOWN when working through the little hole in the backing plate.

I was able to do this with a screwdriver, but only at the expense of slightly bending the edge of the adjustment hole. The Bentley gave me no clue which way to spin the adjusters, and the Haynes manual helpfully told me to turn 'anti-clockwise' on the left and 'clockwise' on the right... not really a useful frame of reference when working through a tiny hole. The UP and DOWN directions above are now handwritten into both of my manuals as a result of my trial and error when I did this job.

>For that matter, what are all the tools that would be recommended for >doing the brake job?

I have a 'brake adjusting tool'... but it's too wide for the hole on the Vanagon drum. If there's a good tool out there, I haven't found it. I did buy one of those special tools for installing the brake shoe retaining springs... I was able to get the old ones off with pliers, but couldn't get the new ones on that way... there's not much room, and putting them on requires more control than getting them off.

>Also, is it absolutely necessary to disconnect the parking brake >equilizerto change the brakes. I have been under this thing so much >lately that I just hate doing it again! Really has my bursitis acting up.

I didn't need to disconnect this, releasing the parking brake gave me enough play. I was able to disconnect the parking brake cable from the lever while removing the shoe (and reconnect while re-installing the shoe). It does give you one more thing to hold in place while working the shoe into place, but it can be done.

Good Luck,

Tim