Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:45:10 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: can the front blower motor (etc)
Comments: To: GlmceN@NETSCAPE.NET

In a message dated 1/1/04 1:00:54 PM, GlmceN@NETSCAPE.NET writes:

<< I do all my own work because: 1.) I am not satisfied by the quality work performed by shops in the past >>

This is a curse which seems to haunt me whenever I hand over one of my prized jewels to a shop. It started early on when I bought my second brand new bike, a '69 Triumph Bonneville. Oh, how I loved that thing and I lavished many hours of tender loving care on it. I dutifully took it to the dealer for its first required service at 600 miles. They were supposed to change the vital fluids and make sure everything was in order. I rode it for the next 1000 miles thinking all was right with the world. Then, when I went to change the engine oil, along with the oil the threads in the case also came out. I was pissed, but I was also stuck out in left field 120 miles from the dealer with no tools or garage at my disposal and not much money to boot.

I guess this relates to what I said before about doing what you have to do whenever you have to do it. So, I sucked it up and came up with a game plan which was to ream the bitched tapping for the closest oversized thread I could find. The thread form went from Whitworth to English in the process and I had to have a one-off drain plug made at a local jobber shop. It's so long past that the details are a bit fussy, but I remember hanging the bike off the edge of the front porch of the duplex where I was living using some found cribbing. "Found cribbing" meant the concrete block and 2X12 bookshelf system from my "living" room; the bookshelf system was originally "found" at one of the many construction sites on campus. I needed to do this to get a straight shot at the drain hole because life was bad enough already and I sure as hell didn't want to cock the new thread.

I also recall the then staggering cost of the tooling and machine work. I think the hand reamer alone cost all of thirteen 1969 dollars. Although I have only used it a few of times over the ensuing years, that reamer in my tool cabinet serves as a reminder of shop work gone awry. The curse live on.

George