Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:37:43 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Immobilizer
          Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>

There is no work around to the immobiliser. Just so you know, the 1999 TDIs (80 pin ECU) don't have one. There are some companies out there that can flash the ECU with code from and industrial ECU but this makes me a little suspicious to how will it would work on the highway and not running your saw mill. I have no first hand experience with the flashed ECU versions so if anyone can comment on this it would be great.

The scoop is there are three flavours of the ALH motor.

No IMMO 80 Pin ECU 1999 Model Year K-Line IMMO 121 Pin ECU 2000 Model Year Can-Bus IMMO 121 Pin ECU 2001+ Model Year

The no IMMO is the easiest route - some work as an AHU TDI motor electrically. In order to understand the IMMO you should understand the sequence of events that happens.

1 Insert key and put to the on position. 2 The instrument cluster asks the key for it's code. 3 The instrument cluster then stores this code. 4 Turn the motor on. 5 The ECU asks the instrument cluster for the code. 6 The instrument cluster sends the code to the ECU. 7 - The ECU compares codes and if they match the motor keeps running. - The ECU compares codes and if they don't match the motor shuts off in 4 seconds.

So to have a running motor you need to hide the instrument cluster, key and key reading coil somewhere in your van.

Now, for the K-Line IMMO there is a little 'trick' you can do to make things more compact. In the late 90s Europe started the IMMO thing and in these vehicles the IMMO system has the J362 unit (the thing that stores the code) external to the instrument cluster. This unit is about the size of a small box of crayons. You can substitute the instrument cluster with this J362 box.

With the Can-Bus setup there is no external J362 unit that I know of so you have to run with the instrument cluster.

I have stock of the J362 units and their associated connectors so that you can connect it to your K-Line system.

I'll be doing a 2000 Golf TDI engine in my TriStar in the next few weeks - details will be at http://www.syncro.ca

Hopefully this all makes sense to you, if not, email me and I will try to explain it better for you.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.