Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:14:01 -0500
From:         Jim Huskins <lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: TiiCo -  Questions
Comments: To: James V <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET>

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 02:05 AM, James V wrote:

> What would I be getting myself into by purchasing a TiiCo van? I've > heard > many opinions about the conversion, most being extremely for or > against.

I can't speak to the CA emissions question, but I'm in the enthusiastically FOR category. In 50,000 miles, the only real trouble I've had was a bad manifold pressure sensor early in the process. It started running rough, so I took it to a local import shop which had analyzing equipment. At that point I had to order the plug from Peter which allows OBD 2 test equipment to be plugged in. He sent it immediately, and for free, and we quickly found the problem.

My only complaints about the Tiico are the lack of the OBD 2 plug, and more seriously, the lack of an oxygen sensor circuit in the original harness. I ran mine without the sensor for a while, but I finally realized that was stupid. It's no big deal to wire the thing. I used a universal three wire Bosch sensor from Vanagain. Ken Wilford was, as usual, a great help, and he also sold me the short wire with proper pin for connecting to the ECU. I bought coax cable from Radio Shack.

I've had the Tiico in two vans. I got tired of fighting the many problems in my '85 Westy, especially the bad gas tank, and recently put the motor in my wife's '89 Carat. What a car! I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with these conversions. My "new" '91 Carat will get one as soon as the engine gives trouble. For my money, four in a row is the way to go.

One more related negative: Since I put the Tiico in the '89, I can tell that the 3-4 slider is starting to go. Maybe coincidence, but I suspect that more power accentuates this problem. I'm going to send a spare transaxle to AA soon so I can have it on hand.

You'll get other opinions, but I say go for the Tiico. I'm in Western North Carolina about an hour from Asheville. If anyone would like to drive mine, come on.

Jim Huskins Spruce Pine, NC